Hey there!! Megan here from Lovebird Heartworks. Do you ever sit down and craft or create something just for YOU? Just because you need a little crafting therapy? That’s where the idea for this project came from. Many people find weeding vinyl/HTV very therapeutic and same with coloring. If weeding isn’t your thing, don't be intimidated, you could also print this image out and just color it.
Gather your Craft Supplies:
- Mandala Coloring Image - PNG Cut File (download it here) (NOTE: once the image opens in a new tab it may appear to be on a dark background. Simply right-click the image and chose 'Save as Image' to save the image to your desktop.)
- ColorChimp Flock HTV - Black
- Die-Cutting Machine - I’ll be using a Cricut Maker
- Cutting Mat - I’ll be using the LightGrip 12” Cricut Mat
- Cricut Brayer (optional, but SO handy)
- Your FAVORITE Weeding Tool
- Heat Source (heat press or iron) - I’ll be using a Cricut Easy Press
- Heat Press Mat or Towel
- Tote Bag - you could also do this design on a t-shirt or poster board
- Your FAVORITE Things to Color With - I’ll be using Crayola Washable Markers so I can wash and recolor my tote bag
Let’s get Started:
- Download the Mandala Coloring image (NOTE: once the image opens in a new tab it may appear to be on a dark background. Simply right-click the image and chose 'Save as Image' to save the image to your desktop.)
- Upload the Mandala Coloring image into Cricut Design Space (or desired software).
- When you are given the option to Select Image Type choose “Complex”.
- Remember to Save as Cut File.
- This project was designed to be 8.5” x 11.5”, I wouldn't suggest going any smaller than that if you are going to cut and weed this design.
- Pre-cut ColorChimp Flock HTV to 9” x 12”.
- Flocked HTV has a different look and feel to it. It’s a little thicker than standard HTV and you may need to pick at the corner a little bit to know which side the material is on vs. which side the carrier sheet is on.
- Put your HTV onto your mat with the carrier sheet side down and roll with the Brayer to get the smoothest results.
- Cut the ColorChimp HTV on “Glitter Iron-On” setting. Keep in mind that because this particular design doesn't have any text it doesn’t make a difference if you mirror before you cut.
- Cutting takes about 20 minutes to complete.
- TIP: Removing Flocked HTV from mat - it’s best to flip the mat over and slowly roll the mat away from the HTV, this way you won’t wrinkle the material.
- ANOTHER TIP: When weeding intricate projects like this you can tape down the corners with double-sided tape.
- Weed your design. This part took me about 20 minutes - I put on some tunes and took my time.
- When you’re almost done weeding turn on your heat source and set to 305º for 15 seconds.
- When you’re ready to press don’t forget to preheat your garment.
- Heat Press for 15 seconds in each spot making sure the whole design has been pressed.
- LET COOL - This HTV needs to have a cool/warm peel, take your time and let it cool before you slowly peel off the carrier sheet.
- Color your design. Whether you use washable or permanent markers be sure to add a piece of cardstock or cardboard inside of your tote bag/garment so that the ink doesn’t bleed through to the other side.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this crafting therapy break with me. I would LOVE to see what you’ve created and how you’ve colored your design whether you use Flocked HTV or simply printed out the Mandala Coloring image. Thanks for getting “Craftey” with me!! Create an Amazing Day!!
Be sure to head over to the Craftey shop to find all of the materials used in this project, including our Color Chimp Flock heat transfer vinyl. And for more project ideas and inspiration, be sure to check out the Craftey Community!